Monday, July 8, 2013

Who am I, and why should you pay attention?

Here it is. The first entry. My intent for this blog is to produce a series of articles and essays that my team and I have been musing on forever. The original title of the series was, "A Director's Guide for Actors: Everything You Need to Know About Why We Do What We Do." 

When you read this blog, keep that concept in mind. In spite of some of the random stuff that will turn up here, that is my main focus on the blog. 

What can I expect? 
You can expect an honest portrayal of the process. You can expect brutally honest feedback and commentary. While I prefer to write with no small amount of humor, sarcasm, snark and fun... Sometimes, things need to be laid out in a way that you might not like. 

So... expect to hear it like it is. 

You can also expect interviews with other film makers, actors, coaches, directors, casting people, back ground, etc. There will be funny pictures, video clips and sometimes, plugs for independent productions... Certainly plugs for my work... but others as well. 

Why should I listen to you?
I know, you've stumbled on this blog and are asking yourself, "Who is this guy and why should I listen to anything he has to say?"

I am glad you asked.

My name is Kristopher Hoffman. I own Savage Light Studios, an independent film company in New Orleans, Louisiana. Savage Light Studios has spent the last 6 years turning out short films and we're starting on our first feature. in the 4th quarter of this year. 

But why should you listen to me? 

That's an interesting question. 

Honestly, you probably shouldn't. I'm just an Indie... I don't have the big budgets, I don't have the money to pay for people to do my casting for me... I don't have big budgets and have to do with shoestrings... if that... Sometimes, it's a fishing line budget. I can't afford massive explosions, don't rely on CGI... and in one recent film, had to use an actual tiny ufo on camera instead of graphics... I don't waste millions of dollars on things no one wants to see... I use fresh scripts, shoot my own stuff, edit, sound design... I have to get down in the mud and get my hands dirty... I don't ask actors to do things I wouldn't do (to the point of appearing in a knitted cap, and a tutu for a scene)...I eat the same food as cast and crew, and work 15-18 hour days... 

So, you can see... if you're trying to be a successful Hollywood director... you don't want to listen to me... 

However... if you want to know the ins and outs of indie production... if you want to learn what it takes to be an actor and impress the people you need to impress... if you want to see the nuts and bolts of the indie world... I might have a few nuggets of truth for you... Not many, but a few... (I don't want to get your hopes up and then let you down. Zero Expectation = Zero Disappointment)

Bragging Time
Honestly, I can only let my work speak for itself. It doesn't matter what I say... It is what I produce. Here are the last 3 pieces my team has turned out. (Yes, all three of these have one thing in common - that is just for this series).










If you don't like what you see here, maybe this blog isn't for you. Maybe it is. Just because you don't like my film making style doesn't mean that I don't know what I am doing, or more importantly, that I don't have information that can benefit you.

Secondly: People who work on my set want to come back. We have one family that has driven 2 hours, REPEATEDLY to play zombies on my series - Project Z. You don't have to take my word for it... I actually have testimonials!

"Working with Savage Light Studios is a more pleasant experience than
you would get on most Hollywood sets. The food might not be gourmet
catered, but you will be treated like a human being, with consideration and
respect. The crew is a fun group who go out of their way to make 
the experience as much fun as possible, given the long hours and
resets inherent in film making."

"I've had the pleasure of working with Kriss on set and he's not unlike some
of the other Directors I've worked for, Sylvester Stallone, Martin Cambell,
just to name a couple. He's hard but fair and wants you to give it your all.
I'd be glad to work with him again in the future."

"I have had the opportunity to work with many directors and
production crews in the industry, but very few match the talent
of Kriss Hoffman. Kriss is a brilliant playwright, and one of the
most talented directors and cameramen I know. He is a great
visionary in the industry, and a true professional."

Third: Unlike many Indies out there, I am producing. We are turning out our series, Project Z. We're starting on a couple new projects as well... and they will get released. No "shoot this and leave it to die in the shadows for my team.

Lastly, and this is, probably, the most important... We've made a LOT of mistakes... I mean... A LOT of them... but unlike some people... We learn from them... I never make the same mistakes twice... I assure you... I find completely new ways to mess things up. So, maybe... just maybe, you can learn something from my mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment