Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Talent Showcase: Jearl Vinot

Jearl Vinot is the owner of Cross the Bayou Productions and partnered with Savage Light Studios. With these production companies he has taken part in over 30 productions as Producer, Writer, Director, DP, AD, Camera and Assistant Editor. Two of his short films have won Best in Louisiana for Thriller and Zombie short at the Fear Fete Horror Film Festival 2011.

Tell us your story, what got you into film making?
I have always had a creative interest. When the Louisiana film industry was in it's infancy I was urged by friends in the film industry to consider doing background. After toiling over the idea for a few weeks I took the chance and applied to work on Benjamin Button. That experience changed me. I knew in just two days on set this is where I belonged.

I began building my confidence in front of the camera. I went on to work in many films with numerous stand in and featured background roles to my credit. Still, even with having three supporting role credits and being SAG eligible I was still not sure which side of the camera I belonged.

My mind became clear after talking to Jonathan Frakes on set one day. He told me how he loved acting but even as a principle you were still left out of certain creative processes. This is why he decided to become a director. To have his hand on the entire creative process. With that, I was convinced, I want to make films. I joined a 48 Hour Film team in 2009 where I met Kriss Hoffman. There was a connection we shared in our visions and we continue to this day sharing those same visions.

Tell us about your current projects and what you have planned for the future.
Currently I am working on three scripts. My vampire feature, is completed but under revision and my two other scripts, a ghost story feature and a episode in our zombie series, are on their way to completion. I'm looking forward to getting back to our zombie series and begin filming of our new comedy series which will culminate with a feature film we have been wanting to make for some time.

Who or what are your influences and inspirations in film making?
I am inspired by the methods of Alfred Hitchcock, the story telling of Dean Koontz and the acting of Jimmy Stewart. I am in love with bringing stories to life via film.

What is your ultimate goal and how do you plan on reaching it?
My ultimate goal is to bring joy to many with my story telling. To see my films on the big screen and the smiles, tears and fears of the audience. Ultimately I wish to be a director. Forming actors in roles to bring out the best in their acting abilities. We will keep making films to show our talents. We will make connections in order to broaden our audience.

Briefly, describe your creative process?
Something triggers a thought. That thought grows into a story. I read a script and see the whole picture noting where I feel changes made would enhance the story telling. I put together a scene with it's location. I look through the camera to determine which shots will best allow us to tell the story.

What is your favorite part of the film making process?
I have no real favorite part of film making. I love the whole process no matter how hard or enduring the process can be. If I had to pick, I would say directing the actors in telling the story and editing. Editing brings all the pieces together for the whole story.

What is your LEAST favorite part?
Weather conditions and frogs.

If you could give one piece of advice to aspiring film makers, what would you say?
Never stop growing and learning new skills. Watch what others are doing and see how they could apply to your films. I could go on but you did say just, “one”.

What one piece of advice would you give to actors who want a part in one of your productions?
Follow directions from the beginning. Make that effort to know your lines.

If you had the money to hire ONE person to do something for you in the biz... what would they do?
I believe we would greatly benefit with a marketing/publicist type position to assist us in building an audience and getting funding.

What is the one piece of gear you cannot live without?
My camera of course!

What piece are you most proud of?
“Killing Time” comes to mind first because it is a pivotal piece where we applied many of our new filming techniques, successfully, as it turned out.


Is there anything you've done that you would like to destroy all the copies of?
A certain 48 hour film I took part in at the beginning of my carrier.

If the Oscars were available for purchase, how much would you pay for one?
An Oscar is earned, I would never buy one for any price.

Why do producers feel that it is necessary to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to make a movie? 
While this is not necessary for all films I can see certain high budgets needed to bring reality to the production, ie E.T, Titanic, Transformers. But there are also many great films made with small budgets, ie Jersey Girl, It's A Wonderful Life, I could go on.

What is the meaning of life?
Live life to your fullest potential bring joy to yourself and all around you.

Other than this interview, what is the stupidest thing you've ever agreed to do?
A certain 48 hour film that I wish to destroy.

When the aliens land on earth, why will you be the first person they talk to?
Because I'm awesome and it's known throughout the entire universe!  

Mr. Vinot's award winning/festival shown work can be seen on YouTube here and his series "Project Z" on Blip.tv here.

2 comments:

  1. Is there a link to Mr. Vinot's work. Great article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion. I have added that and it will be included in future interviews

      Delete