Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Featured Article: The Naked Truth About Acting - part 1 by Teri Begin

"Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly." - Rosalind Russell

I have been performing, literally, for as long as I can remember. My first commercial, portraying a nurse for a hospital at the age of 5, sparked in me the thrill of acting - the ability to become someone else and escape from my own personal barriers, still drives me to this day. I have been blessed to have had the ability to work in all aspects of the Entertainment Industry - Theater, Film/TV, Commercials, Industrials, and Production - and can honestly say that nothing soothes my soul more than being on set - the energy, the creative flow, the like-mindedness of all involved in a project are like no other.

As an Actor and Acting Coach, I am often approached by aspiring actors, wanting to know "what to do" in order to be successful in the industry. If you, the reader, are still reading this, and have the same question, I'd like to give you a couple nuggets (vegan, of course!) of wisdom that I have gleamed over the years.

I would like to ask you a question - define successful? If your only goal is to be "rich and famous," may I suggest Medical or Law School. A true artist does not act for fame or fortune - those who enter this business with such pre-conceived aspirations will never make it. If your answer is along the lines of "doing what I love and doing it well," please continue reading. Acting is a passion - a deep seeded need to be a part of something bigger than yourself..knowing that no role is too big or too small...the willingness to act without pay or recognition, just for the thrill and experience...it is born within a person, and cannot be taught or conditioned. And when one meets a group of like minded individuals, magic happens. So, if you are still following along, and not searching the internet for internships at John Hopkins, congratulations!

For those who are serious about Acting, I'd like to tackle a couple things in this article, regarding your craft. First, no matter who you are, or how many plays/shows/films you've done, you still need training. Tom Cruise ? Hires a scene partner for each movie he does (and I know this from experience!) Bradley Cooper, Julia Roberts, Sean Penn? The Actors Studio. Brad Pitt? Works with private acting coach, Margie Haber. "But wait," you say, "I thought Actors were born, not made!" And I would agree - the ability to perform is an innate talent. But the mechanics of acting - learning to deepen your character - are ones that must be continually honed. My sister, Michelle, is a damn good RN and RT - she was always the healer and peacemaker in our family - but being a caregiver and having a natural tendency to want to heal didn't get her the position she has now as a Pediatric Oncology Nurse. Nope, she went to school...and went to school some more...and continues to take courses to stay on top of her field. Why would Acting be any different? If you're not willing to train, please don't waste my time, or the time of agents and casting directors.

Second, and please hear me on this one - you are not indispensible. You got a role? Great - just remember that there are probably hundreds, maybe thousands of people who would love to be in your shoes, and can act the part just as well as you. More than any other field I know, Actors are hired and fired based on word of mouth and professionalism. We have a saying in this industry - "if you are 15 minutes early, you are on time. If you are one time, you are late. If you are late, it is unacceptable" - and you WILL be blacklisted. Want to complain about another actor or talk about the director behind his back - we are a close knit family, and I promise you, you WILL be blacklisted. How do I know this? Because I've blacklisted people before - for unprofessionalism, for being late, for not following wardrobe requirements, for failing to learn lines, for acting like a diva on set...you get the idea. We are, by nature, a networking community and suspicious of new people - so leave the attitude in your car, or drive away. If, however, you are on time, come prepared, and are friendly and professional on set, you can expect to be welcomed with open arms.

Teri can be found on facebook HERE.
Her company, Controlled Chaos Productions can be found HERE and on facebook HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment