Monday, August 5, 2013

Featured Article: What it’s like to be a beginning actor - by Madison Thompson

I am someone who has yet to find her passion. I have many passions in life, varying in intensity, but I can’t seem to find MINE, that thing you feel you’re meant for in life. I realized this after getting a bachelor’s degree in general studies and then (after a last minute decision) doing a year and a half of prerequisites for a master’s in psychology. After finally admitting Psychology wasn’t what I was “meant for,” there was no point in pursuing the master’s anymore, so I decided to take a semester off for a little soul searching. I had been a student my whole life, it was odd not being one anymore. But I now had all this new found free time and was determined to make use of it. Classes ended in December (2012) and less than a month later, I decided to pursue acting.

I had always been a lover of film and TV. but never saw acting as a viable option for myself. After all, when I was younger I was always “the smart one” and not necessarily “the pretty one,” and was just getting used to being considered beautiful after a substantial 50 pound loss in weight and a significant gain in self-love. I had also come to realize that I was pretty decent at acting, even though I had rarely come across the opportunity. Now that I was actively seeking it out, it was terrifying! Auditions gave me chest pains and I was on the verge of tears the entire time. I never realized how much I cared about what others thought of me until I was literally being judged. After a few, I got more comfortable, but still incredibly nerve wracking. Over the last 8 months, I’ve had about a dozen auditions and I’ve been in 3 productions, one of which I had lines in!

My favorite things about acting so far? First, I see it as a hobby, something I do for fun, so money isn’t my motivation. I haven’t made a cent. Second, I’m not desperate for roles, so I can pick and choose the ones I think I’ll really enjoy (and won’t mind not being paid for). And finally, the people! I’ve met and made friends with more amazing, unique individuals in the last 8 months than in all my years in college.

My least favorite thing? Having high hopes that maybe I’ll be spotted by some director/producer in one of my minor roles and he/she will just have to have me as the leading lady in the upcoming blockbuster staring opposite Bradley Cooper, while simultaneously knowing how INSANELY small the chances are of that happening.

I’m not positive that acting is my calling, passion, whatever, but one thing I know is that it’s the most fun I’ve had in quite some time and can’t wait to see what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment